Chicken Makhani/ Butter Chicken
Butter chicken (or chicken makhani or murgh makhani) is part of the Punjabi Cuisine, popular in countries all over the world. Butter chicken is usually served with naan, roti, parathas or steamed rice. It should not be confused with Chicken tikka masala, a similarly coloured Indian chicken dish.
Serves 5-6 Prep. Time- 10 min. Marinating time- 3 hrs to overnight Cooking time- 40 min
- 1 whole chicken - cut into 12 pieces (see note below & recipe of tandoori chicken) MAKHANI GRAVY
- 2 tbsp butter, 2-3 tbsp oil, 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 lb (6-7) tomatoes - blended to a smooth puree
- ½ cup cashewnuts - soaked in hot water for 15 minutes, drained and ground with a little water
- ¼ tsp Kashmiri or degi mirch or red chilli powder
- 1 cup milk, 2 tbsp whipping cream
- ½ tsp garam masala, 1 tsp tandoori masala, ¼ tsp sugar or to taste
- salt to taste
- Prepare tandoori chicken as given in snacks receipe( If you donâ€™t have a tandoor or an oven simply marinate chichen as given in tandoori chicken receipe and stir fry on high flame in non stick pan or kadhai in 4-5 tbsp oil, till brown and crisp and cook and cover for 5 min, till chicken is tender).
- To prepare the makhani gravy, heat butter and oil together in non stick pan. Add tej patta. Stir for a few seconds. Add ginger and garlic paste, cook until liquid evaporates and paste just changes colour.
- Add pureed tomatoes, degi mirch and sugar. Cook until the puree turns very dry and fat separates. Add salt to taste.
- Add cashew paste, stir for 2 minutes on medium heat. Remove from fire and cool a little. Add milk and about Â½ cup of water to get the desired gravy. Return to fire. Keeping on low heat, bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken. Simmer for 2 minutes till the gravy turns to a bright color. Remove from fire and stir in cream, stirring continuously. Add garam masala and tandoori masala. Stir. Remove from fire. Garnish with 1 tbsp of fresh cream, slit green chillies and coriander.